A Plaid Cymru Government would work with stakeholders to build upon the high level of animal welfare standards already in place in Wales. We would:
- Improve the enforcement and delivery of licensing requirements relating to dog breeding establishments in Wales, building on the recent review of regulations by the Wales Animal Health and Welfare Framework Group.
- Improve horse welfare by taking action on equine tethering.
- Review pet vending, focusing especially on the regulation of animals sold online.
- Issue model tenancy proposals on pets in social housing and work to reduce barriers between homeless pet owners and homeless shelters.
- Support the development of statutory codes of practices for the keeping of exotic pets in Wales.
- Ban the keeping of primates as pets.
- End the giving of pets as prizes.