Our ‘Keeping Schools Safe’ measures would operate at a Welsh Government level, but Local Authorities would be the key delivery partner. The measures include:
- Continuing the provision of free lateral flow tests for education settings
- Supporting clinically extremely vulnerable staff, including those who are pregnant, to work from home, and protect vulnerable staff by offering roles with minimum contact and FFP2/3 masks
- Extra financial support to address the digital divide, to prepare for any future scenarios where pupils are required to learn from home
- Measures to improve ventilation and air quality monitoring, including carbon dioxide monitors for each classroom and educational space and widespread use of air purifiers
- Measures to make well-ventilated classrooms comfortable for students – this could include relaxing dress codes to ensure students can dress more warmly and that classrooms are well-heated
Monitoring Air Quality To Keep Children Safe
In Summer 2021, much debate was had about whether schools in Wales should be using carbon dioxide monitors, to ensure pupils were breathing in fresher air thereby reducing the risk of Covid transmission. Whilst the Welsh Government hesitated, eventually agreeing to provide the equipment after pressure from Plaid Cymru, Ynys Môn County Council had been using monitors for months. Working in partnership with local organisations, the Plaid Cymru-led Council provided monitors to schools, care homes, and office spaces, helping to keep rooms ventilated and Covid rates down.
✔ Plaid Cymru: Making a Difference
I'm voting Plaid10,866 votes
With hundreds of our candidates and supporters campaigning all over Wales, it would be a big help to us to know that you're voting for us, enabling us to focus our campaign efforts on persuading those who haven't yet made up their mind.
Please let us know if you're voting Plaid Cymru this year.
Are you voting Plaid Cymru?
By answering this survey, you agree to Plaid Cymru recording your political opinion and using it for campaigning purposes. You can find our data protection policy here.